Last week, Typhoon Haiyan devastated the Philippines, leaving an estimated 10,000 people dead from its 195 mph winds. There are several area organizations holding events to collect donations for relief efforts:
- Kalusugan Coalition, an organization dedicated to creating a unified voice to improve the health of the Filipino American community in the New York/New Jersey area, will hold a fundraising happy hour on Tuesday, November 26 from 5:30pm-7:30pm at Lotus Blue Restaurant Bar.
- City College of New York Philippine-American Organization will host a Filipino-themed dinner on Thursday, November 14 from 8:00pm-11:00pm at NAC Ballroom.
- Broadway Barkada, a collective of Filipino performers who have professional credits in the performing arts, will host a performance at the Philippine Consulate on Friday, November 22 at 8:00pm.
- NYU Internatial Filipino Association will host “Song & Solidarity: A Typhoon Haiyan Relief Fundraiser” on Saturday, November 23 at 8:30pm at the Palladium Multipurpose Room.
In addition, the following international organizations are collecting donations online:
- United Nations World Food Programme
- Philippine Red Cross
- Catholic Relief Services
- World Vision
- Doctors Without Borders