Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those who are in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed – in the past four decades – to become one of New York’s preeminent housing, social service and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
AAFE provides education, financial assistance and training to empower people, small businesses and neighborhoods. Its research, advocacy and grassroots organizing initiatives help to shape government policy and to effect positive change. At its heart, AAFE embodies the hopes and dreams of New York’s many vibrant immigrant communities, and helps turn those dreams into reality.
AAFE is seeking a full-time Tenant Counselor to further AAFE’s efforts to preserve decent and affordable housing in Chinatown and the Lower East Side; and in immigrant communities in Brooklyn and Queens, including but not limited to Elmhurst, Corona, Woodside, Sunnyside, Jackson Heights and Jamaica. The Tenant Counselor will provide overall support to the AAFE Housing and Community Services Department.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- conducting strategic outreach in buildings to educate neighborhood residents and groups about housing rights
- working with tenant and resident leaders to organize tenant associations to collectively address and resolve housing issues
- developing, identifying, implementing and/or supporting campaigns to preserve affordable housing
- providing individual counseling and follow-up service for clients with housing issues
- assisting the Director and Program Managers in preparing regular reports to funders
This position poses great opportunities to collaborate with other community-based organizations and develop leadership skills.
AAFE is seeking an individual who is highly flexible, self-motivated, has a deep commitment to community work and is driven to grow both professionally and personally. The ideal candidate will possess:
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking skills.
- Computer literacy, which includes familiarity using email, Excel, Word, Facebook, Twitter and other computer programs that will improve the work.
- Bilingual fluency in English/Chinese is REQUIRED.
- The ability to work some evenings and some weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience. Excellent health benefits with paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and personal days.
If interested, applicants should submit a cover letter indicating salary requirements and a resume in PDF form, addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org. No faxes or phone calls, please. In the event that we wish to arrange an interview, we will contact you by email or phone.
AAFE is an equal opportunity employer.