Department: Property Management
Employee Type: Full-Time
Stanton Norfolk, Inc. manages the leasing and maintenance of more than 500 units of affordable housing, and commercial and community space in almost 50 buildings in neighborhoods throughout New York City, including Lower Manhattan and Far Rockaways, Queens.
The Porter will make sure that a new mixed-use residential and commercial building in Flushing, Queens is maintained daily in clean and functioning order for its occupants. Overall duties will include removing debris, maintaining common areas, restocking bathrooms, and responding to all cleaning emergencies.
- Regular working hours will be full-time 40 hours weekly. Porter will be expected to be on call during off hours to perform emergency tasks requested and not to accept other employment that would conflict with job obligations.
- Maintain a weekly time log indicating completion of chores and duties, including day and time the activity took place, and submit log to building manager with time sheet every other Friday.
- Sweep floor daily, mop public areas of building at least twice per week, including but not limited to staircases and hallways, and as otherwise needed.
- Prepare, sort and remove garbage and trash in building for pick up by garbage trucks.
- Keep basement clean and free of all clutter and debris at all times. Do not permit storage of any miscellaneous or personal items (furniture, etc.) by any tenants or occupants in the building therein. If such a situation arises, the porter must advise management so that appropriate actions can be taken to remove the items. Also, porter will remove and dispose of any dead vermin.
- Keep receptacles covered at all times. Make sure all garbage is bagged and the building is free of violations for garbage and debris at or around the building. Follow recycling rules: all recyclable and garbage is to be placed in front of the building according to New York City Department of Sanitation schedule.
- Clean rear yard, airshaft, sewer trap and roof at least once a week or more if needed.
- Promptly replace any missing or burned out bulbs in public area and basement.
- Report all tenants moving in or out of building to management office.
- Ensure that vacant apartments are kept clean and securely locked at all times and not rented or used by porter or others for any reason.
- Report any defect, suspected or otherwise, in the roof, plumbing, electrical and etc. to management.
- During snow periods, clear snow from all sidewalks adjacent to and in front of the building. During light snow or ice, apply granulated salt compound or alternative immediately to avoid slippage.
- Report any illegal activities or conduct, suspected and / or witnessed, on the part of any tenants or visitors at or around the building. If there is any evidence of drug activity (addicts, vials, needles, envelopes), or other undesirable behavior, notify management office staff person immediately.
- Report and file report on all accidents without delay to the management office.
- Maintain a neat appearance and a polite, courteous demeanor at all times.
- Advise of need for cleaning tools, supplies and equipment. When materials are ordered / requested / acquired, porter is responsible for storing them in proper place for future use.
- Keep handrails clean and free of the dust that accumulates on them.
- Wash down sidewalks and garbage beam.
- Supervise any outside contractors and utility companies. Only those contracted or approved by Management are allowed to work in the building.
- Maintain a working relationship with tenants at all times.
- Remove any obstructions on all fire egress and public areas.
- Remove stagnant water in the basement whenever needed.
- Clean apartments of debris when tenants move out with proper authorization.
- Previous work experience as a Porter, Janitor, or Custodian a plus.
- Bilingual is a plus, English/Spanish, English/Chinese, or English Korean.
- Positive attitude and good communication skills.
- Availability to work in shifts and with flexible schedules (e.g. weekends and evenings).
- Required to walk from floor to floor and may be required to walk outside between buildings in varying outdoor weather conditions.
- Ability to move furniture; reach, lift, and carry heavy equipment.
- Required to regularly sit or stand for prolonged periods of time; bend, squat, and regularly lift up to 50 pounds through course of shift.
$16 / hour. Excellent health benefits with paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and personal days.
How to Apply:
Please email resume in PDF format, indicating “Porter” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org.
No phone calls, please.
Stanton Norfolk, Inc. is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer.
Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.