Position Title: Business Counselor
Organization: Renaissance Economic Development Corp.
Report To: Director of Programs & Technical Assistance
Work Location: New York, NY
Employment Status: Exempt
Renaissance Economic Development Corporation (REDC) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization whose mission is to transform low-to-moderate income and immigrant communities in New York City by providing low-interest small business loans, training and counseling services.
REDC is an affiliate of Asian Americans for Equality, one of the country’s leading community development nonprofits. As an organization deeply rooted in the neighborhoods it serves, REDC works hand-in-hand with local business owners to ensure their long-term success. Renaissance also provides financial literacy services and comprehensive technical assistance to small business owners and entrepreneurs each year through individual counseling and classroom sessions.
We are U.S. Treasury certified Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI), SBA Intermediary Microlender, and SBA Community Advantage (7a) lender. Renaissance’s lending activities are guided by a commitment to increase business opportunities for low-income, minority, women, and immigrant entrepreneurs.
Renaissance is seeking an energetic Business Counselor reporting to the Director of Programs. The Business Counselor’s overall responsibilities are to interface with small business clients, provide business counseling and technical assistance to clients, outreach to local entrepreneurs and represent Renaissance at marketing and outreach events.
Specific duties for the position of the Business Counselor are to:
- Meet with and consult clients on technical aspects of their businesses
- Identify consultants for training needs and opportunities to market Renaissance’s products, workshops and seminars
- Assist the Director of Programs to coordinate technical assistance and training service delivery
- In collaboration with the Director of Programs, develop curricula for workshops and seminars addressing a comprehensive range of small business needs. ie: licensing, insurance, marketing, business plan, bookkeeping, financing and other related topics.
- Coordinate and help deliver workshops and seminars to respective clients
- Make recommendations to management on whether to originate a loan for a client
- Make site visits to client’s business locations
- Attend marketing and outreachevents
- Maintain close customer contact to ensure continued satisfaction
- Maintain the highest level of confidentiality with all client information obtained
- Meet expectations for attendance and punctuality
- Perform other related work and duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Business Administration and related fields
- Strong verbal and organizational skills
- Strong knowledge oflocal businesses and resources
- Experience working with low income individuals and diverse communities
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task, perform under pressure, and flexibility to meet deadlines
- Proficient computer skills using Microsoft Office, Google Documents, and Social Media platforms
- Hands on experience working with small business owners is a plus
- Experience in digital marketing is a plus
- Spanish fluency is highly desirable
Salary depends on experience. Excellent health benefits with paid vacation, holidays, sick days, and personal days.
*NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE. ONLY THOSE OFFERED INTERVIEWS WILL BE CONTACTED.