Job Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Community Services
Employee Type: Full-Time/35 hours per week
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
The Census Coordinator will lead AAFE’s Get Out the Count (GOTC) Census initiatives, including community education, training, and outreach in a coordinated citywide initiative to ensure a full, fair count in the 2020 Census. The Census Coordinator will play a central role in working closely with senior leadership and staff from each of AAFE’s business units to mobilize AAFE clients and tenants to complete the Census, and to train them in promoting Census participation as trusted messengers. Because of the cross-departmental nature of this work, the Census Coordinator will report to the Co-Executive Directors.
- Work with Community Services, Stanton Norfolk Property Management, Renaissance EDC, and Community Development Fund staff to develop and execute a detailed campaign with defined goals and coordinated activities for community education, training, and outreach.
- Provide day-to-day planning, coordination, and execution of Census 2020 education, training, and outreach activities across the organization.
- Collaborate with the Director of Communications and Marketing to design and implement messaging tailored to AAFE clients and tenants.
- Develop high-quality and culturally and linguistically-sensitive training and outreach materials.
- Represent AAFE at borough and citywide Census 2020 coordination meetings, to support coordination and partnership-building.
- Work with NYC Census 2020 to coordinate and disseminate marketing and outreach materials through community-based events.
- Work with NYC Census 2020 and the Census Bureau to host hiring/career fairs to fill paid Census 2020 positions.
- Develop and implement data collection and tracking systems to ensure that staff meets their goals and impact can be reported internally and to funders.
- Analyze data from across the organization on a frequent and consistent basis to monitor progress towards achieving training, outreach, and participation goals – and to adjust or develop new tactics as needed to ensure a full, fair count.
- Provide regular reports on activities to AAFE’s senior leadership team while preparing external reports as needed.
- Prior community organizing and outreach experience is required; experience in the neighborhoods served by AAFE is preferred.
- Demonstrated experience with managing, synthesizing, and presenting data.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Exceptional organizational and time management skills to handle multiple tasks and deadline pressures.
- Ability to work collaboratively with different departments internally and diverse partners externally, as well as independently
- Experience with managing volunteers and keeping them engaged throughout a campaign.
- Chinese/Spanish and English bilingual preferred; other languages a plus.
- Ability to travel between Chinatown/Lower East Side, Jackson Heights, and Flushing.
- Ability to work evenings and weekends.
Salary is commensurate with experience. AAFE offers a competitive benefits package, including full health and dental insurance, retirement savings plan, flexible spending, and paid time off.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter with salary expectations and a resume in PDF format, indicating “Census Coordinator” in the subject line by October 11, 2019 to email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
Asian Americans for Equality is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, community residents, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.