Job Status: Non-Exempt
Department: Community Services
Employee Type: Full-Time/35 hours per week
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York City and providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
The Career Counselor serves AAFE’s mission to empower immigrant communities by preparing immigrant job seekers to enter sustainable employment through the provision of basic ESOL classes, job readiness, and placement services. The Career Counselor will also provide case management services for job seekers, including income support and social service referrals (both internal and external) as needed. The Career Counselor will report to the Program Director.
- Meet 1-on-1 with job seekers to evaluate their employment and educational history, job readiness and motivation, and to identify short and long-term career goals;
- Enhance job readiness by creating resumes and cover letters, practicing interview skills, and coaching on workplace expectations and performing independent job searches;
- Provide job readiness, job placement, and service coordination for a caseload of 10-20 clients referred by Garden of Hope, a non-profit partner;
- Refer job seekers to additional resources, such as High School Equivalency (HSE) prep, occupational skills training, and other wraparound support offered by program partners;
- Screen and match job seekers to open job orders;
- Deliver workshops in resume writing, interview preparation, and other job readiness skills;
- Follow-up with job seekers regarding job interviews, employment status, and need for post-placement support for up to 12 months;
- Track client data and progress in program database, and assist Program Director with preparing reports to funders;
- Analyze data to generate program reports and make recommendations to leadership on programmatic decisions;
- Establish partnerships with new community partners and employers while also maintaining relationships with existing community and employer partners;
- Organize, coordinate, and promote AAFE job fair events; also connect job seekers to other job fairs;
- Research and develop industry knowledge in key occupations to ensure effective matching of job seekers with available employment opportunities;
- Represent AAFE and promote AAFE services at community events;
- Participate in department and staff meetings and trainings;
- Support office operations as needed;
- Perform other responsibilities as assigned.
This position is based out of the Union Street Office in Flushing from 9:00 am – 5:00 pm, with lunch breaks from 12 pm – 1 pm, Mondays through Fridays. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required for community outreach and professional training.
- Bachelor’s Degree is highly preferred
- 1-2 years in workforce development or related field preferred
- Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese is required
- Strong project management skills, including managing competing priorities and meeting deadlines
- Computer proficiency in Microsoft Office, Google Suite, MS Suite, internet research, and social media
- Highly motivated, with proven capacity to work independently and take initiative
The position requires sitting, standing and walking in and outside of the office. Occasional lifting and carrying of a weight of 30 lbs of event materials and office supplies.
Salary is commensurate with experience. AAFE offers a competitive benefits package, including full health insurance (following a 30-day waiting period), retirement savings plan, flexible spending, and paid time off.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter with salary expectations and a resume in PDF format, indicating “Career Counselor” in the subject line to email@example.com
No phone calls, please.
Asian Americans for Equality is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, community residents, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.