Position Title: Senior Center Care Aide
Job Status: Non-Exempt
Department: AAFECare Center for Seniors
Employee Type: Part-Time/20-30 hours per week
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
AAFECare Center for Seniors is a social adult day care program and subsidiary of Asian Americans for Equality. The mission of the center is to provide a continuum of holistic care services addressing the health and social needs of our community’s senior citizens. The overarching goal is to help seniors living in AAFE-managed buildings and the community to successfully age in place, supporting their ability to live in their own homes and community safely, independently, and comfortably, regardless of age or income. AAFE will be launching a second AAFECare Center for Seniors at a mixed-use development called One Flushing, in July 2019. The first AAFECare Center is located in the Lower East Side.
AAFECare is seeking an experienced Senior Center Care Aide who is energetic, compassionate, and communicates effectively to serve AAFECare members by helping them maintain and/or improve their mental and physical health, while maintaining compliance with NYS HOD and DFTA adult social day care policies and regulations. The Senior Center Care Aide will also assist with facility needs at AAFE’s new community center in Flushing, to be launched summer 2019, as needed. The Senior Center Care Aide will report to the Assistant Manager of the AAFECare Center in Flushing.
- Interact with seniors to encourage their active and regular participation in social, health, recreation, and entertainment activities
- Plan, prepare, and serve meals to seniors daily
- Clean and maintain facility hygiene
- Support center operations as needed
- Participate in department and staff meetings and trainings
- Perform other related duties as required
- Bilingual in Mandarin Chinese or Spanish
- 2+ years of experiences working with geriatric population
- HHA/PCA/CPR certification required
- Understanding of immigrant and geriatric populations needs
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Highly motivated self-starter who is able to work independently and as part of a team
- Ability to work weekend shifts
The position requires sitting, standing and walking in and outside of the center. Occasional lifting and carrying of weight of 40 lbs.
Salary is commensurate with experience. AAFE offers a competitive benefits package, including full health insurance (following a 30-day waiting period), retirement savings plan, flexible spending, and paid time off.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter with salary expectations and a resume in PDF format, indicating “Senior Center Care Aide” in the subject line by June 30, 2019 to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Asian Americans for Equality, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, community residents, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.