June 10, 2019
For over 40 years, AAFE has focused on advancing the rights of Asian Americans and all those in need through advocacy and access in civil rights, to provide immigration assistance, social services, affordable housing; to promote economic development; to empower our communities through research and publishing that embody our issues and concerns; and to foster understanding and unity among diverse communities through building coalitions and forming collaborations.
THE COMMUNITIES WE SERVE
AAFE provides services to all residents who live in the five boroughs of New York City. Specifically, AAFE targets the over 1,000,000 Asian residents of the city, making up more than 13% of New York City’s total population. To better facilitate the provision of services, AAFE maintains offices in three particularly high Asian-populated areas – Chinatown and the Lower East Side in Manhattan; Flushing, Queens; and Sunset Park, Brooklyn.
Poised for transformational change, AAFE seeks a seasoned hands-on Director of Human Resources. He/she will work with the two Co-Executive Directors and the senior leadership team to drive the organization’s mission, vision, values and culture with our ambitious strategic goals and with implementing new business models to maximize AAFE’s impact in the communities we serve. He/she will design, implement and manage an extensive human resources agenda to attract, develop, on-board, engage, and support high-performing teams responsible for multiple services and outcomes. As AAFE’s first-ever, Director of HR,he/she will work with the Co-Executive Directors and our senior leadership team to foster a strong, unified organization characterized by a mission-driven investments in people and place; one that requires collegiality and cross-functional teamwork.
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities. To achieve these goals, AAFE organizes these key activities into several lines of business: Homeownership Promotion, Preservation and Lending; Small Business Promotion, Development and Lending; Real Estate Development; Asset/Property Management and Community Building, Planning and Organizing.
AAFE has assets of approximately $124 million and a $16 million annual operating budget, yearly grant-making is currently in the $2.9 million range. Total AAFE staff equals 140 professionals, located in offices: in Chinatown and the Lower East Side, Flushing, Queens and Jackson Heights, Queens. The Director of Human Resources will be based in the AAFE’s headquarters at 2 Allen Street in Chinatown, New York City and will travel as necessary and be a vibrant and known resource across all of AAFE’s staff.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
- HR Leadership: Provide day-to-day leadership to the ongoing management and operations of all Human Resources activities and maintain a focus on AAFE’s strategic mission, vision and values. Oversee all hiring, on-boarding and training and development across AAFE, utilizing internal and external resources, as needed. Assess the effectiveness of AAFE’s current HR activities, programs and policies and identify and recommend new policies and programs for improving HR services to support all of AAFE and its employees. Build, lead and support HR activities and hire other HR professionals or leverage external HR experts or service providers, if deemed necessary. Serve as a thought leader in the human resources field, staying abreast of new developments and key employment laws and regulations.
- Basic HR Function: Reporting to and serving as a strategic partner to AAFE’s Co-Executive Directors and as a member of the Senior Leadership Team, the Director of HR will create and implement the alignment of AAFE’s mission, vision, values and culture. He/she will provide counsel to AAFE Leadership on creating an HR function that has compliant HR systems, programs, policies and procedures. He/she will also help to drive leadership development, change management, organizational design, development and succession planning. He/she will develop a pipeline of talent to identify, track, attract and on-board top talent to AAFE utilizing a diversity of approaches.
- Strategy and Implementation: Partner with AAFE leadership to create and implement the new strategic vision and direction of a collaborative organization characterized by a dynamic and evolving culture. Fosters an accountable, high-performing and results-oriented culture that provides opportunities for constructive input from all staff. Identify, create and implement strategies for managing significant organizational and structural change, partnering with other areas of AAFE to design and implement the appropriate strategies and approaches to: Recruiting, On-boarding, Compensation and Benefits Planning and Communication, Organizational and Leadership Development, Workforce Planning and Alignment, Performance Management/ Development, Employee Engagement and Relations, Culture and Values.
- Performance Management: Create AAFE’s approach to assessing and evaluating performance and providing constructive, developmental feedback to all employees. Provide training and support to managers who are responsible for providing feedback and coaching to their teams and to assist employees in understanding how to work effectively, collaboratively and professionally. Align this program with AAFE’s mission, vision and values.
- HR Initiatives: Lead all of AAFE’s talent acquisition plans and initiatives. Work in partnership with others at AAFE that are currently responsible for compensation, payroll and employee benefits, employee relations, organizational and leadership development, staff engagement, development and performance management, culture and values.
- HR Management/Administration: Oversee HR administrative and management systems which support and drive HR activities and internal HR policies and procedures. Develop, manage, and monitor the HR budget and any HR service vendors or professionals, when required, for AAFE.
- Communication: Create, recommend and implement employee communications and engagement approaches and initiatives to address the human resources implications that are strategically and operationally critical to AAFE.
- Coaching: Coach, counsel, and be a sounding board to all AAFE leaders on organizational and human resources issues. Provide a confidential and objective support system for managers and employees to share their concerns and to get advice on solving workplace or employment problems.
- Physical Environment: Work closely with the CO-Executive Director’s to ensure that the physical work environment and space creates and reinforces the most up-to-date work spaces and approaches that foster increased communication and collaboration among all AAFE staff located in multiple locations.
IDEAL CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
The Director of Human Resources will have or be:
- Superior management and supervisory experience in a highly collaborative and dynamic organization, directing or leading a complex and sophisticated human resources strategy, function and team, implementing goals and action plans with demonstrated results. A commitment to ensuring best-in-class human resources policies, programs and services.
- Deep experience on developing and implementing, creative and strategic ways of driving organizational development leading to success.
- Strong knowledge and expertise in all HR-related areas, including recruiting, compensation, employee benefits, employee engagement, leadership and organizational development, succession planning, performance management, staff development, and legal and regulatory issues.
- Excellent leadership and interpersonal skills, able to build and maintain effective relationships and to inspire his/her teams to achieve high-level services.
- Strong presentation skills with a track record of success in presenting to senior management and groups of employees. An effective communicator with diverse audiences.
- Superior organizational skills with a demonstrated ability to prioritize assignments and deliver high-quality work on time and within budget.
- Works effectively independently, as well as in a team-oriented, collaborative, and collegial environment. Able to balance the desire for collaboration with the need for efficient and effective business practices.
- Employs creativity to break free from established structures and past practices and tries new approaches to solving problems.
- Ability to maximize the effective use of up-to-date technology.
- Has an approachable demeanor with a keen ability to listen deeply. Is someone who leads by treating others with respect, dignity and openness.
- Employs a high level of sensitivity, appreciation, and commitment to diversity.
- Has a high degree of emotional intelligence and self-awareness and has a self-reflective nature to the work they perform and the people they interact with on a regular basis.
- A bachelor’s degree or a graduate degree in human resource management or organizational design and development, organizational psychology, or a business-related field is preferred. Eight or more years of human resources experience desired with some of those years having lead an HR function and team at a dynamic, evolving organization.
- Multiple language skills also desired including: Chinese, Korean and Spanish.
AAFE seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Salary will be negotiable and will be commensurate with your level of expertise and experience. Applications, including cover letters, salary requirements and candidate referrals should be sent to the attention of Rosemarie Bruno of People Strategies, Inc. at: Midtowneast@ymail.com