Job Status: Non-Exempt
Employee Type: Full-Time/35 hours per week
Report to: One Flushing Office Manager
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving affordable housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities.
In August, AAFE will open a new community center at One Flushing, a mixed-use residential and commercial project in Downtown Flushing, to provide senior day care, social services, homeownership counseling and small business services to improve the lives of low-income and immigrant New Yorkers.
The office assistant at One Flushing plays a vital role in welcoming community members and directing them to appropriate staff for assistance and services. The office assistant also provides general administrative support to ensure the office environment is well-maintained for staff and clients, by working collaboratively and communicating proactively with staff. The office assistant will report to the Office Manager at One Flushing.
- Serve as the first point of contact for the organization, greeting visitors and directing them to appropriate staff for services
- Monitor client sign-in sheet and enter the data in AAFE database on weekly
- Manage front desk operations, including but not limited to answering the telephone, taking messages, managing the voicemail system, and monitoring the staff in/out log
- Process incoming and outgoing mail
- Maintain calendar for reserving conference rooms
- Purchase office supplies and keep storage room stocked and organized
- Manage repair and maintenance of office equipment, including computers, phones, and printers
- Schedule and receive deliveries
Program Staff Support:
- Photocopy documents and maintain staff telephone directories
- Ensure clients complete intake forms prior to meeting with program staff
- Prepare meeting and presentation materials as needed by program staff
- Prepare outreach and marketing materials, and organize and maintain the materials that are easily accessible in the office
- Maintain and organize program documents in physical and digital folders
- Perform other related work and duties as assigned
This position is based at AAFE’s One Flushing Community Center from Monday – Friday, 9 am – 5 pm, with a lunch hour from 12 pm – 1 pm. Occasional evening and weekend hours are required for community events and professional training.
- Minimum 1 year of administrative experience; nonprofit experience working with immigrant communities a plus
- Proficiency with using Microsoft Office and G-Suite applications, including Google Docs
- Ability to mulit-task and prioritize in a dynamic work environment to meet deadlines
- Strong attention to detail and ability to work as a team member with minimal supervision
- Solid verbal communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills; and excellent phone manner
- Ability to work occasional evenings and weekends
- Bilingual in Chinese and/or Korean is highly desirable
The position requires sitting, standing and walking in and outside of the office. Occasional lifting and carrying of a weight of 30 lbs of event materials and office supplies.
Salary is commensurate with experience. AAFE offers a competitive benefits package, including full health insurance (following a 30-day waiting period), retirement savings plan, flexible spending, and paid time off.
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter with salary expectations and a resume in PDF format, indicating “Office Assistant, One Flushing” in the subject line to firstname.lastname@example.org
No phone calls, please.
Asian Americans for Equality is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, community residents, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.