Asian Americans for Equality
Location: Flushing, NY, 11355
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is a non-profit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social services, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities. To achieve these goals, AAFE organizes these key activities into several lines of business: Homeownership Promotion, Preservation and Lending; Small Business Promotion, Development and Lending; Real Estate Development; Asset/Property Management; and Community Services and Organizing.
We attract talented and diverse individuals who want to make a difference and are committed to our mission. AAFE offers a competitive salary, rich benefits and generous PTO while maintaining a sustainable work-life balance. We are now accepting applications for a Program Counselor focusing on Health and Social Services.
Why we need you!
The Health and Social Services Counselor serves AAFE’s mission to empower immigrant families through the provision of case management services that address clients’ health and social service needs and meet contract requirements.
This staff will work closely with our clients to understand their needs, identify existing resources and services that our clients can utilize, identify potential challenges, conduct regular check-ins, provide workshops, maintain and update client data and create program reports. The ideal candidate for this position should be willing to go above and beyond to help our clients reach a resolution.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide one-on-one counseling, advocacy, and follow-up services for clients with healthcare and social service issues.
- Conduct needs assessment to identify the presenting issues related to healthcare and social services, as well as resources and challenges to resolve these issues for clients.
- Develop a service plan that prioritizes client’s needs and services to resolve presenting issues.
- Advocate on behalf of clients to resolve issues related to healthcare, medical billing, and government benefits.
- Maintain and update both client files and digital records in DYCD database system (or other external database) and/or internal database accurately and timely as required.
- Track and maintain enrollment and outcome for assigned contracts(s).
- Conduct community outreach to promote AAFE’s Health and Social Services programs
- Organize, coordinate and help prepare community educational workshop series.
- Provide monthly narratives and statistical reports on program activities and deliverables.
- Assist Program Managers and Program Directors in preparing regular reports to funders.
- Identify the trends of changes within the community and their needs regarding health, social services and other related areas.
- Participate in department and staff meetings and training.
- Share light chores to maintain cleanliness and neatness in the office.
- Support office operations as needed.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
AAFE employees create value by sharing common core competencies. AAFE employees are fearless, innovative leaders who think strategically; promote inclusivity and team building while maintaining a strong commitment to respect and integrity.
- Minimum 2 years of experience in Social Services and other related field
- Associate Degree is required
- Knowledge and background on benefits and health insurance is required
- Knowledge and background on affordable housing and other government housing programs(e.g. NYCHA, Section 8) is required
- Experience in community outreach, public speaking and conducting presentations (e.g. workshops, community events)
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize and handle multiple complex tasks
- Ability to work independently and as a part of team
- Experience in using Microsoft Suite and Google Suite (e.g. Gmail, Google Sheets, Google Docs, Google Calendar, etc.)
- Bilingual in English and Mandarin Chinese is required
- Fluency in Cantonese is preferred
How to Apply:
Please email a cover letter with salary expectations and a resume in PDF format, indicating “Program Counselor Application” in the subject line to email@example.com. **No phone calls, please.**
Asian Americans for Equality is an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
People of color, community residents, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.