To advance equality and the rights of Asian Americans and all those in need through advocacy, civil rights, immigration assistance, social services, affordable housing, economic development, and multi-cultural coalitions.
Do you have a deep commitment to advancing the rights and improving services for underserved populations, with a particular interest in transforming the lives of Asian Americans and strengthening communities?
Can you thrive in a dynamic environment, building teams and forming external and internal alliances to provide optimal services and advocate for language access and policy reform?
Asian Americans for Equality (AAFE) is an innovative, highly respected New York City-wide nonprofit poised for growing impact. For over 40 years, AAFE has serviced the needs of low-income and immigrant families. The Managing Director of Community Services will lead a multilingual staff across four community centers to provide immigrant and low-income families with access to housing, healthcare, entitlement benefits, youth development, civic participation, and educational and economic opportunity. Reporting to the Co-Executive Directors, the Managing Director will be AAFE’s lead program officer charged with a consistently high standard of program development and delivery and in creating outstanding client and staff experiences across all of AAFE’s community centers and senior centers. The Managing Director will lead, train, and support staff to define and achieve AFFE’s desired program outcomes and foster collaboration with all AAFE departments.
The Managing Director will take charge of AAFE’s core Community Services division with an extraordinary record of achievement of providing life-changing services for a diverse group of people that AAFE serves. AAFE seeks a mission-driven leader who can build strong cohesive
teams, navigate a changing work and service delivery environment, and also play a key role in ensuring that all of AAFE Community Services programs are operating effectively with demonstrable results. With boundless energy, creativity, and a steadfast commitment to client/customer service, the Managing Director will inspire and equip their team to enhance the lives of many.
The Managing Director will raise AAFE’s visibility as a strong advocate for the improvement of conditions for the people they serve. Motivated by a belief in the dignity of all people, the efforts of the Managing Director will be driven by a sense of passion, community, respect, humility, equity, and action.
AAFE is a nonprofit organization dedicated to enriching the lives of Asian Americans and all those in need. AAFE provides services to all residents who live in the five boroughs of New York City, specifically targeting the more than one million Asian residents of the city, which make up more than 13 percent of New York City’s total population.
Founded in 1974 to advocate for equal rights, AAFE has transformed in the past four decades to become one of New York City’s preeminent housing, social service, and community development organizations. AAFE is committed to preserving housing throughout New York City and to providing new opportunities for the city’s diverse immigrant communities. To achieve these goals, AAFE organizes these key activities into several lines of business: Homeownership Promotion, Preservation, and Lending; Small Business Promotion, Development, and Lending; Real Estate Development; Asset/Property Management and Community Services.
AAFE has assets of approximately $124 million and a $16 million annual operating budget; yearly grantmaking is currently in the $2.9 million range. AAFE staff is comprised of 120 professionals who work from offices in neighborhoods with large Asian and Latinx immigrant populations, namely Chinatown and the Lower East Side, Jackson Heights, and Downtown Flushing. The Managing Director of Community Services will be based in AAFE’s headquarters at 2 Allen Street in Chinatown, New York City. They will travel as necessary and be a vibrant and known leader across all of AAFE’s assets and staff who are based in multiple locations.
KEY RESPONSIBILITIES AND PRIORITIES
DEPARTMENT LEADERSHIP AND MANAGEMENT
● Provide effective internal leadership and stewardship of all of AAFE’s Community Services programs, being actively involved in developing, implementing, monitoring, and measuring the effectiveness of all AAFE’s programs and services.
● Align staff and all other resources to most efficiently and effectively achieve AAFE’s Community Services programmatic objectives and high levels of program delivery and client relations.
● Support the development of all Community Services program policies, rules, protocols, handbooks, and forms for all program components.
● In conjunction with AAFE’s Co-Executive Directors, develop annual goals and oversee the Community Services department budget while also ensuring staff meets or exceeds agreed-to goals and levels of client service.
● Manage and streamline the contract registration process and recommend appropriate modifications and ensure contract renewals are managed effectively.
● Work collaboratively with other departments including:
o Property Management to design and implement resident services in select AAFE-owned and managed multifamily residential buildings;
o Renaissance EDC and Community Development Fund to provide small business and homeownership education and counseling to Community Services clients;
o Marketing and Communications to identify and secure clients to be profiled in publications, events, and policy advocacy.
● Take a leadership role in defining Community Services program metrics and establishing a routine process for program evaluation that incorporates client feedback.
● Support data migration and staff training to utilize new databases, including a new CRM system for client and outcomes tracking; and work with Program Managers in the development and monitoring of all Community Services program reports, evaluations, and other data collection (quantitative and qualitative) to ensure this area of AAFE is aligned with the mission and achieving the desired community impact.
● Collaborate with the CFO to prepare and present program impact data with financial data to the Co-Executive Directors and AAFE Board for informed decision making on strategy and resource allocation.
● Monitor client databases and other performance tracking tools, working closely with the Program Managers and frontline staff in Community Services, to ensure compliance with funder reporting requirements and internal performance management.
● Manage staff to maintain electronic case management databases, updated in an accurate and timely manner.
STAFF RECRUITMENT, TRAINING, MENTORSHIP, AND MANAGEMENT
● Play a leadership role in recruiting talent for the Community Services team and in training and supporting all employees.
● Maintain a culture of high-performance management and create a culture with staff of continuous improvement, helping staff focus on their individual clients, the community centers, and AAFE’s overall mission and goals.
● Mentor their teams to deliver best-in-class staff meetings and trainings in addition to consistent application of processes and programming.
● In collaboration with HR, develop comprehensive annual training program plans for the Community Services team, including programs to build subject matter expertise and other critical skill areas which might include customer service, effective client management, data management, time management and other related interpersonal skills applicable to their ongoing daily work and responsibilities.
● Support staff in addressing client grievances in a timely and compassionate manner.
ORGANIZATIONAL AND CULTURE DEVELOPMENT
● Promote a culture of collaboration and initiative, supporting a positive work experience for all employees.
● Identify opportunities and proactively provide suggestions to refine and improve all aspects of Community Services program delivery, including those in support of AAFE’s mission and goals outlined in AAFE’s strategic plan.
● Work closely with the Co-Executive Directors to form and lead an advisory program committee of volunteers with experience in delivering social services and connections to communities served by AAFE.
● Lead staff in connecting social service delivery with community organizing and advocacy for influencing broader policy change.
● Play a leadership role in organization-wide Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion efforts.
● Expand fundraising activities to support existing Community Services programs and the development of new programs; cultivate existing relationships and develop new funder relationships.
● Build and maintain relationships with various partner agencies and service providers to support and expand AAFE’s mission impact.
● Assist the Program Managers with coordinating the delivery of, and monitoring the quality of onsite ESOL and citizenship classes, legal clinics, and Know Your Rights workshops by partner service providers and contracted instructors.
● Support the implementation of a volunteer program, with ongoing recruitment and management to increase community and corporate volunteerism in support of Community Services programs, events, and advocacy.
IDEAL CANDIDATE EXPERIENCE AND CHARACTERISTICS
● Bachelor’s degree preferred or minimum of 15 years in program delivery or equivalent experience with increasing management experience.
● Excellent written, verbal communication skills with strong presentation abilities. Persuasive communication skills and ability to present their ideas to others in a manner that provides clarity, buy-in, engagement and commitment.
● Outstanding ability to solve challenging organizational and operational problems and make timely decisions, often under pressure with tight and competing deadlines.
● Excellent management and leadership skills, including the ability to inspire, coach, and mentor staff. A thoughtful, collaborative leader who works well with individuals at all levels of the organization and with the constituent populations that AAFE serves, including the multiple community centers operated by AAFE.
● Exceptional customer service and interpersonal skills, including the ability to use tact and diplomacy in all interactions. Healthy balance of confidence and humility. Leads and interacts with others with respect and by applying positive influence and inspiration.
● Demonstrated ability and passion for working with AAFE’s highly diverse multilingual and multicultural client population.
● A decisive and accountable leader who makes decisions effectively and maintains a firm sense of direction for the entire Community Services team.
● Has strong integrity and demonstrates honesty, transparency, and strong values which they display through consistent action.
● Bilingual (English and Spanish, Mandarin, or Cantonese) a plus.
● Ability and willingness to work occasional evenings and weekends.
● Experience with budgeting and analyzing data, including comfort with spreadsheets and database programs.
● High level of proficiency in software applications, including Microsoft Office Suite, the internet, and Google programs required. Previous experience in case management database program(s) preferred. Willingness to learn new computer applications.
● Thrives in high-paced, dynamic environment and brings with them the foresight to build Community Services for the future, while providing AAFE leadership and staff with the information and tools they need to succeed.
Employees of AAFE and all subsidiaries create value by sharing common core competencies. AAFE employees are fearless, innovative leaders who think strategically, promote inclusivity and team-building while maintaining a strong commitment to respect, integrity, and
AAFE seeks a diverse pool of candidates. Salary will be negotiable and will be commensurate with your level of expertise and experience. Preference will be given to applicants who live or have experience and/or knowledge about the neighborhoods that AAFE serves: Chinatown and the Lower East Side of Manhattan, and Jackson Heights and Flushing, Queens. The Managing Director of Community Services will be based in AAFE’s headquarters at 2 Allen Street in Chinatown, New York City.
For more information about the organization and its programs, please visit https://www.aafe.org/.
Please send applications or nominations to Paul Spivey at AAFE@PhillipsOppenheim.com.