We wanted to take a few moments to thank everyone who attended AAFE’s Virtual Lunar New Year Gala on March 17. If you weren’t able to join us for the big night, we invite you to watch the program below.
The AAFE staff members, volunteers, residents and community allies pictured above are among those featured in an evening of storytelling — highlighting our collective efforts to serve some of the most vulnerable families across New York City. During our 48th Annual Lunar New Year Gala, we heard from:
- AAFE volunteers who have been so important to sustaining our three food pantries in Chinatown, the Lower East Side and East Harlem.
- Staff members working to open two new affordable developments in Lower Manhattan as well as transitional housing in Flushing.
- Pastor Park Sun Won of Nanoom House in Flushing about the critical need for transitional housing for families with children.
- Our Board President Lydia Tom, who recalled AAFE’s origins as an affordable housing developer and spoke about our present day commitment to meeting the changing needs in the community through new affordable housing models.
- Jo-Ann Yoo of the Asian American Federation about our shared advocacy agenda in 2022 to keep the AAPI community safe.
- And an imspiring small business owner in Chinatown, Lily Ng, who received a low-interest loan from AAFE’s Renaissance Economic Development Corp. to expand her vegan grocery.
We’re grateful to our elected officials for sharing their Lunar New Year greetings with us. On our gala website, you can read messages from: Senate Majority Leader Charles Schumer, Congresswoman Grace Meng, Congressman Jerrold Nadler, Congresswoman Nydia Velazquez, New York State Attorney General Letitia James, New York State Comptroller Thomas P. DiNapoli, New York City Mayor Eric Adams, State Senator John Liu, State Senator Toby Ann Stavisky, State Senator Brad Hoylman, State Assemblymember Ron Kim, State Assemblymember Edward Braunstein, State Assemblymember Jessica González-Rojas, State Assemblymember Harvey Epstein, City Council Speaker Adrienne Adams, New York City Public Advocate Jumaane Williams, New York City Comptroller Brad Lander, Queens Borough President Donovan Richards, City Councilwoman Carlina Rivera, City Councilwoman Julie Menin, City Councilwoman Sandra Ung, City Councilman Shekar Krishnan, City Councilwoman Selvena Brooks-Powers.
Thank you to all of our sponsors!